Replicated/Remediated Object: Design


My idea generation started with a design that reminds me now of an air filter on a vacuum. Originally I was picturing the ceramic final piece and thinking it would be really cool to have a vase with a lot of delicate flanges sticking out. After rereading the assignment and recognizing what "undercuts" are I realized that this design, as I imagined doing it, would be a damn mess if not impossible. 


My second idea barely made it out of infancy before I realized that I didn't want to make a useless vessel. I have enough flower pots and vases at home, I don't need one that I made out of obligation to finish a project. I finally started to think about what I actually wanted as a finished product. What would I like to have in my home? What could I use?


Instead of answering that I messed around with a weird spiral design that, while not my favourite, made me realize that I needed to expand what I was picturing.




I ended up really liking the idea of making a figurine of a person, or people, and I figured that while I have enough vases, I could always use another candlestick holder.



I thought about how I could make it have a certain amount of asymmetry and ended up with a design I am really excited by.

Here are some renders of how I hope it will look in the end.








 

Comments

Popular Posts