PROJECT 1: Week 2 - Laser Cut Ideas

With the autumn winds blowing I was inspired to create an autumnal diorama. To start with I drew out my scene in the program SketchBook and separated the image into 6 layers of different colours.


Separated:

Together:


I knew right away that I wanted to work this way, using the different layers of lasercut material to come together in a single image from the front perspective. What I wasn't sure was how I wanted these layers to be presented in the final project. For that I looked at a few different ideas.

Light-Box:

(image from 3DLittleWorld on Etsy)



Perspective-based Sculpture:



(Images from the works of Michael Murphy, @perceptual_art on Instagram)


                                                                          Silkscreen Stencil:


I am interested in using a light source in the vicinity of the moon shape to cast light on the rest of the layers, in a light box design, however I would likely need to work with paper to create the effect I'd like. (and I'm less interested in laser cutting paper, simply because I can already cut paper pretty well with scissors.)
So if I were to use a material like wood I would want to paint it to create something like a 3D diorama or a perspective-based sculptural piece. I'm pretty interested in this idea, I really like sculptures in general and I think its interesting to be able to see both the 'intended' view of the composition from head on and the 'unintended' views of it from the side that make it harder to discern. 
Finally, as a print major I am currently exploring silkscreening and am very interested in the overlap I can imagine with laser cutting stencils for printing. For this I would likely want to use paper, instead of wood, as I wouldn't want to damage my screen. I think I might do a print of my finished piece using a different stencil as I am leaning towards wood for this class.






Comments

Popular Posts