OBDF - Progress this term!

1. Architectural Facade - My Apartment

For our first project we used the tools we had learned to try and recreate a small piece of architecture that we liked in the city. I chose the one I liked the most, which is my apartment! I moved to Calgary to come to this school and this apartment has been such a great place to call home. It was really hard to replicate the design in the way that I wanted to with the commands that I knew in Rhino, but as with most things there are many ways to accomplish the goal! I figured it out, even if it was in the slowest way possible, and I learned to appreciate the use of shortcuts in the projects ahead.











2. Laser Cut Project - Harvest

This was my first time using a laser cutter and I was very excited to create a complex illustration with layers and lighting effects and all kinds of things. Of course it ended up being more difficult than I had figured at first, but it was a great experience that took a few tries. I ended up using more wood than I expected, and finding an appreciation for the natural burn look that laser cutting causes. If I were to try again I think I would take it further and try out a Lightbox version of my design.











3. Model Organic Object - Squished Squash

It was really cool using a photoscanning app. I've looked for them in the past and couldn't find one that would work with my phone, so it was very cool to use one in class. I think I would consider buying one going forward, as it definitely cut out the difficult process of trying to recreate this design from scratch.











4. Reverse Engineered Object - Speedball Linoleum Cutter

Using a digital calliper was really cool and has changed the way I look at things in my day to day life. I have a hard time not imagining measuring and recreating candlestick holders, and cups, and things I see in my day. It was very satisfying creating something that looked right in the end and I'm really proud of my final renders.

If I were to do it again I think I would just spend more time trying to make a believable render space.

















5. 3D Printed Chess Set - Leave Your Mark!


This was definitely my favourite project and I was really impressed how easy it was to do by the end of the term. Using the commands I had learned and the muscle memory I had acquired I found hours passing by without even noticing as I worked on this. While it didn't turn out exactly how I would have wanted in an ideal situation I feel really confident from this project that I could make just about anything with enough time and access to the 3D printers. And that's very exciting!










Comments

Popular Posts