Milestone Project #1: Stacked Slices Model - Progress

I really wanted my first milestone project to relate to things that I was interested in. To begin with, I was thinking of how to tie it to Print Media, but I couldn't find a satisfying connection between the two concepts. I went towards the more aesthetic and sculptural interests that I have, and thought for a while of an animal shape that could be held up with a 3D printed frame. I liked the idea of the frame, but found designing an accurate simulacrum of an animal difficult with the tools I wanted to practice using. So, in the end, I went to an idea I had that I would want to do on a large scale, if given the time and opportunity, but will resign to a smaller model for this class. 

I really enjoy music, as most people do, and thought the sliced model would make an excellent slotted album tray if done right. Considering the tools we learned in class I figured it would be relatively easy to make a randomized sine wave that when rendered 3D would look like a mountain range leading to a seascape or lake. This would give an interesting design, and allow for the second half of the sliced model to work as a flat surface for a record player to sit.


Before diving into the different ways I wanted to explore using the randomized curves for the different topographic features I decided to make a simple static version. 


As I had noted before, I think I would like to 3D print the frame of the table. 
I still need to find a satisfying way to slot the shapes onto the frame, and find a good balance for the randomization options to create an interesting and versatile topographic aesthetic. If I could push this idea further I would love for the mountains and sea to have the same peaks and valleys of a favourite song, but I think at the moment that might be beyond me.

Comments

Popular Posts