Milestone Projects - Object Design 310

 1.) My First Definition

For my first definition I wanted to create a rainbow as I found the colour gradient portion of the tutorials we went through the most interesting to me. I liked that I could assign a colour change to a range of numbers and wanted to do it in a basic way. I couldn't quite figure out how to pull it off at the time though as the colour gradient would disappear from my object once I tried rendering it.



2.) Animation



Continuing with my interest in the colour gradient I decided to create a looping gif inspired by videos I had seen of marbles endlessly tumbling through devices and environments. My main focus was the colour changes but I practiced the list management that we had learned in class to give the spheres a fun sense of motion.


3.) Stacked Slices Model





For my stacked slice model I decided to go with a design that was inspired by our exploration of the randomizer slider. The waves of the interpolated line reminded me of both a soundwave and the peaks and valleys of a topographical map. By combining those ideas I began to design a table that would have slotted space for vinyl records as well as a flat surface for a record player. It was fun working with the ranges and visualizing a prototype for a larger project, and having done this I learned a lot about what I would need to modify and account for in future iterations. Primarily the stand I had 3D printed was not strong enough to withstand the weight of the acrylic that I had laser cut for the mountain/sea range. If I were to progress further with this idea, I think I would employ the use of the CNC machine to achieve my final product.



4.) Replicate/Remediate




This project was a blast. 

Each step along the path of it made me think differently about how I approached it and how I would do it in the future. When designing the piece I started with shapes and forms that I ultimately decided would result in a final product that I wouldn't want to have in my home. With that in mind I decided to create a piece of decor that would fit with other things that I have, and so a candlestick holder became the inspiration. As I iterated different designs it began to occur to me that I didn't have to rely on the simple cylindrical and symmetrical shapes that I was stuck on, and I took a more illustrative approach. 

Knowing what I know now, there are many changes I would have made to the design as I forgot to incorporate a draft angle to much of the design. The 90 degree angles that I made were a constant hassle when attempting to demold the piece. I also made a silly mistake with the registration marks creating a bump in the center of one of my forms. As a print major I really appreciated the tedious process of this project, the mess and hands-on approach to it, and the ability to reproduce my design.

Comments

Popular Posts